21 April 2007

My Computer Hell

I've started writing this exactly three minutes after my C: drive died on my main PC completely. I've lost about 50 GB of insanely important data, including - but not limited to - my documents, my installed programs, Microsoft Office, customized data for Steam, passwords, Internet cookies, downloaded MP3s, and what little confidence I had remaining in my stupid computer. All of these problems started with ONE. STUPID. FAN.

Let me give you the timeline.

  1. Fan slows down. Power supply shows signs of wear and tear. Dad comes in to fix computer. Brother notifies that he is going to stay for weekend. Dad suggests brother comes to help.
  2. Brother repairs problem, but fails to install CPU fan. Computer turns on. Motherboard and CPU destroys itself.
  3. New motherboard and CPU bought. Weeks pass.
  4. Motherboard and CPU arrive. Plugged into computer. Repair installation complete.
  5. NEW-GENERATION VIDEO CARD NOTED COMPATIBLE ON MOTHERBOARD'S WEBSITE NOW INCOMPATIBLE WITH MOTHERBOARD. Onboard video card doesn't cut it. Older video card inserted.
  6. Hard drive problems encountered. Brother pulls out hard drives, and breaks the 5-volt pin on the D: drive in the process, destroying it.
  7. Long, painful process of recovering the D: drive's quintessential data ensues. Data includes uninstallable old-school programs, songs, MP3s, Paint Shop Pro, Visual Studio, and other hard-to-find programs for which we have lost the CDs and floppy disks.
  8. D: drive data's recovered. Newer, faster, larger hard drive plugged into computer.
  9. Present Day: The C: drive has stopped working at the most inopportune time. It has completely stopped spinning and is considered irrecoverable.
Here's what pisses me off the most. After I nearly lost all of the data on my D: drive, that experience alone should have convinced me to back up my C: drive's data. The thought even rang in my mind a few times, considering that I could free up lots of space on my cramped C: drive and make my computer run faster. A defragmentation wouldn't have been out of the question either. Well, hopefully I'll be able to recover my C: drive. For a good $600. After all, I've only spent about 2 grand on replacing my entire computer.

Could've been worse, I suppose. My entire computer tower would have fallen from my desk.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger MOMinuteMan said...

"Is there supposed to be smoke comin' outta my 'puter case???"

22 April, 2007 13:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home